Sunday, August 15, 2010

Staying Balanced During Changes in Your Life, and in the World


These lovely ladies are doing a Pottery Dance. It's a very rare dance nowadays, performed by a very few women. These are two out of three of them. They are a part of the Cellicion Zuni Dancers, performing at Summer Solstice in Chaco Canyon, in 2008.

(Photo: Copyright 2010 Mi Phillips: Cellicion Zuni Dancers, 2008)

Being in Chaco Canyon, reminds you of how much the world has changed, in the last few hundred years. Although it used to be a thriving metropolis, no one lives here now, yet these ladies are carrying their history with them, remembering who they are, and balancing this quite nicely, I might add ;)

While it's important to keep our traditions alive, it is also important to adapt to changes, as they come along. Everything changes. This blog has changed. I decided to dress it up a little more, add some Fire to it's energy. I hope you like the new design! There is more to come!

I'm seeing people all around me, in the midst of change. Some deal with it quite well, while others tend to tilt a little, while still others are completely bowled over by it. I've had to ask myself what could best help them through these changes, what can I offer that will, in essence, teach them to fish. I'm shooting for long term solutions, in my life, and when I help others. That's important to me.

This morning, myself and a couple of friends are going to the park to do some grounding. When you have changes going on in your life, if you are connected to Mother Earth, you can move through them with ease, finding many synchronicities along the way. If you are not grounded, you are not open to Mother Earth's healing energies. When we - especially women - are connected to the Earth, we tend to not let our thoughts drift so much, we become more focused, and more sure of ourselves, and more assured of the next steps we need to take in our lives. It's like opening a channel to the Spirit World through which they can guide us to do what is best, for the good of all.

As for grounding, my basic line is: Practice Being a Tree! Trees have their roots sunk deep into Mother Earth. They are reaching for water, deep within the ground, here in the desert. We need to do the same. Mother Earth can feed us the nourishment we need, when we sink our own roots deep within Her. What we are reaching for here, is the Fire at the center of the Earth. We want to take that Fire, and pull it up through our feet, our legs, torso, arms, shoulders, and then our head, and let it fill us with it's energy. Breathe deeply, when you accomplish this. Breathe in healing energy, breathe out anything negative within you. Do this a few times, until the negative all comes out. Then pull that Fire into you one more time, and give thanks.


Thinking about World Tree Symbolism, we see that the Roots of this tree are sunk into the nether regions, or, into the Dark, or the Past. The trunk of the tree is in this world, the Present. And the branches are reaching upwards, towards the Spirit World, or the Future. Notice how your body (or trunk) is in this world, the Present. Reach your arms up towards Father Sky, just like Tree does. We CAN reach for the Sky, while remaining grounded in this world. Trees can teach us many lessons. Stop and spend some time with one. You'll be glad you did!

If you want to take this a step further, imagine a Sacred Circle around yourself, giving yourself plenty of room to move around. Facing East, thank the East, Air, and Totem of the East, Eagle. Face South, thank South, Fire, and the Totem of the South, Coyote. Face West, thank West, thank the Water and Mother Ocean, and, if you can, tell Her you are sorry, to help to balance the waters on this planet. Also in the West, thank Mother Bear, who teaches us to go within for answers, and who will teach us about having the Strength necessary to flow with these changes. Face North, thank Mother Earth, and the Totem of the North, the White Buffalo. Thank all of the creature-beings, the plant people, the standing people (trees), and the Stone People. Face East once more and thank the Above worlds, Father Sky and the Great Star Nation. Thank the Below worlds, the roots that keep us all connected, and the creatures that live there, within Mother Earth, like Mole. Then, pull all of that inside yourself. This is "Within". Everything that exists "without", also exists within. All Seven Sacred Directions exist within you. All of the elements and directions also exist within us. Give thanks for this, as well. Feel this inside you, and around you. Know that you are loved, protected, and guided, you are a part, a vital part, of this world, and these beings are going to assist you in your life, in any way that they can. By doing this, we open ourselves up and let them know we welcome their help in our lives. And we know that what we do is for the good of all.

It's always a good practice to smudge before you ground yourself, but not necessary. Grounding oneself on real grass or dirt is much easier than doing so on concrete, but it can be done. We just have to learn to dig deeper! Thanking your Angels, Spirit Guides and Helpers, and Totem Animals, is something else you can choose to add to this little Ceremony. But don't forget that the most important part is connecting to Mother Earth. We all need Her healing energies right now, and the more of us who practice this, the better this world will be.

Staying balanced amidst changes can be a challenge, but by practicing this exercise, we can help ourselves to heal, and to tap into our own inner knowledge, as well as showing that we are open and ready for assistance from the Spirit World.

"You have noticed that everything an Indian does is in a circle, and that is because the Power of the World always works in circles, and everything tries to be round... The Sky is round, and I have heard that the earth is round like a ball, and so are all the stars. The wind, in its greatest power, whirls. Birds make their nest in circles, for theirs is the same religion as ours... Even the seasons form a great circle in their changing, and always come back again to where they were. The life of a man is a circle from childhood to childhood, and so it is in everything where power moves."
~~Black Elk, Oglala Sioux


Walk in Beauty,
With Beauty all around you...
Michelle




2 comments:

Tara said...

Michelle, I just love your posts! I'm so glad that I found you on here! You give me hope and remind me to, as I always try to do, honor my heritage (Cherokee AND Scot/Irish). It's very hard for me to focus on much of anything as my life over the past few of years has been less than what I planned. Stress, job loss and very recent final divorce from a man who I still love dearly. I'm also a Sagittarius, and well, you know how flighty we can be...as my ex-husband use to tease me I couldn't walk by anything shiny without being distracted! LOL However, I am trying VERY hard to learn to love myself - which I've never done, and I'm also trying to teach myself grounding, meditation, and finding my spiritual side and embrace it. It's not easy, but your words are encouraging.

By the way, I like the new colors on your page! The blue writing on the red background makes my eyes dance! LOL I think I need to break down and get an eye exam. I'm overdue!

Blessings!
Tara

Michelle said...

Hi Tara! I'm still not quite satisfied with the colors of the blog. I might change it again :)
I'm glad we met too. I'm loving your photographs of tombstones. They inspire me!
Every morning, I get up around sunrise, and I do this little ritual. I've done it for oh, around 7 or 8 years now. The long term benefits are incredible! To do this each day, centers you, balances you, and reminds you that you are a part of a whole living mutual support system. Taking the time to give thanks every day, is also something I wouldn't change. It reminds me of the things I do need to be thankful for, the things that I have, and the lessons and blessings that are on their way to me.
I'm honored that my words speak to you. May you learn how to fish <3
Walk in Beauty...